Treatment with permanent results, without scars
Gynecomastia is a common condition among men, characterised by the feminisation of male breast tissue caused by the swelling of the mammary gland. It may occur at any age, irrespectively of the person’s body weight. When it occurs during adolescence, it usually disappears within 2-3 years. This is why gynecomastia should be treated during adulthood.
Gynecomastia may be true or false. The former concerns the hypertrophy of the mammary gland, while the latter concerns the accumulation of excess fat in the breast area. For example, obese men, due to the adipose tissue that is present throughout their body, including the breasts, develop more enlarged breasts, but this may be false gynecomastia (pseudogynecomastia).
The causes of gynecomastia
Men, apart from testosterone, have also low levels of female oestrogens in their body, which control mammary tissue development. In case of imbalance between the levels of these two hormones, with relatively higher levels of oestrogens, then the mammary tissues become swollen.
Gynecomastia may be also caused because of genetic disorders, chronic diseases (especially kidney and liver disease) or the intake of certain medications. Men who take anabolic steroid to enhance their performance in sports or strengthen certain parts of their body often develop gynecomastia. In rare cases, gynecomastia is the result of various forms of cancer, such as testicular and prostate cancer.
New invasive procedure with perfect aesthetic results
The treatment of gynecomastia depends on the underlying cause. It must be necessarily monitored by a surgeon because in certain cases, such as during adolescence, it disappears as the person gets older.
The plastic surgeon makes the diagnosis following clinical examination, review of the patient’s medical history, ultrasound and hormonal tests. The duration of the operation is about two hours and it is performed under general anaesthesia or sedation. Depending on the cause and stage of gynecomastia, the cosmetic surgeon may apply the following procedures for the treatment of gynecomastia:
- The minimally invasive, non surgical VASERlipo liposuction to remove excess fat. Initially, the ultrasounds of the VASER system break apart with perfect accuracy the targeted fat without affecting the surrounding connective tissues, nerves or blood cells. Following this, liposuction is used to safely remove resistant fat from the breast area
- Excision to remove the excess mammary gland, which is achieved through small incisions in the areola.
- Combination of these procedures, VASERlipo liposuction and excision in case of both excess fat and tissue.
The new invasive procedures allow the specialised surgeon to treat effectively gynecomastia with small, almost invisible incisions, without scarring.
- You feel physical discomfort because of the size or appearance of your breasts, while the development of your breast has stopped and you are an adult.
- Breast swelling persists despite the diet and/or exercise regimen you follow, and you are not overweight or obese.
If you answered yes, then you should consult a cosmetic surgeon with experience in this type of surgical operation.
- Breast (mammary) tissue becoming overgrown.
- Firm and asymmetric breast tissue that may sometimes be painful with touch.
- Presence of lumps under the nipple that may extend outside the areola depending on tissue size in that area.
- • Gynecomastia can be surgically treated.
- Breast (mammary) tissue enlargement due to excess adipose tissue.
- Accumulated fat in the breast, which is soft and not painful with touch.
- Presence of soft lumps under the breast.
- It mainly occurs in overweight or obese men.
During my holidays I was always feeling uncomfortable, as I had to wear a t-shirt even when I was on the beach. Now, after the procedure, which was much more comfortable than I thought, I can walk on the beach and swim without feeling ashamed of my breast.
Since I was 19 years old I had extra fat in my breast. I was feeling bad and tried to hide it as much as possible. After the VASER treatment I am absolutely satisfied. The improvement of my appearance helped me feel comfortable also in my job, as a DJ. My life has changed completely - I love each and every moment.
Book today an appointment for an assessment free of charge!